Call for Paper: the 2013 Seminar of the ISA RC06 on Family Research
'Demographic and Institutional Change in Global Families' is an international conference co-sponsored by the Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica, Taiwan and the Research Committee on Family Research (RC06) of the International Sociological Association. The conference will take place from March 28th to 30th, 2013 at Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan. On behalf of both sponsors, the local organizing committee cordially invites family sociologists, demographers and other interested social scientists to participate in this event.
There will be three plenary sessions on family change around the globe. We are pleased and honored to have Frank Furstenburg (University of Pennsylvania), Stephanie Coontz (Evergreen State College), and Philip Morgan (University of North Carolina) to each deliver a keynote speech. Parallel sessions will allow up to 60 oral presentations, in addition to several concurrent poster sessions, for the conference.
The conference theme encompasses a wide range of potential research topics on the families from sociological, demographic, historical, psychological and educational perspectives. To list several possible session titles:
- Changing family structures and family relations
- Union formation and dissolution: fertility、divorce、widowhood
- Changing marriage patterns
- Family transitions and well-being for children and adults
- Aging families: grandparenthood, elderly care
- Family values: ideational shifts on family change
- Balancing work and family in the global age
- Family influences on educational and occupational attainment
- Intergenerational relations
- Kin interactions: family network, kin obligation and practice
- Emerging youth issues on the transition to adulthood
- Institutional impacts on the family and policy responses to family changes
If you’re interested to participate, please observe the following timetable:
(Please send your abstract to Mr. Robert Chang: email@example.com)
- Deadline to submit an abstract: October 1st, 2012
- Notification of the status of your submission: October 15th, 2012
- Due date for the full paper: March 15th, 2013
The local organizing committee also welcomes other suggestions. Please write to Chin-Chun Yi (firstname.lastname@example.org), Professor/Research Fellow, Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica, and member of the Executive Committee, International Sociological Association.
For international scholars: If your abstract is accepted and your paper received in time, the local organizing committee will provide on-campus housing (subject to availability) for up to five days, meals during the conference, and a half-day tour of Taipei and its vicinity. A post-conference tour to eastern or southern Taiwan from March 31st to April 2nd will be arranged (self-paid) if enough attendants register. More specific information regarding the logistics will be posted on the conference website : http://www.ios.sinica.edu.tw/dicgf/
Early Stage Family Scholar Award: We are happy to announce that Committee on Family Research (CFR), RC06 of the International Sociological Association will sponsor the 2nd competition on “Young Scholars Award”. The purpose is to select one best paper from all submissions from young scholars to the upcoming conference on “Demographic and Institutional Change in Global Families” to be held in Taipei, Taiwan from March 28th to 30th, 2013.
Please send the full paper to Mr. Robert Chang: email@example.com
- Eligibility: PhD candidate or recent PhD in Sociology or in related disciplines.Recent Ph.D who received or will receive the degree after March, 2010 are encouraged to apply.
- Deadline: Full paper to be received by December 31st, 2012
- Announcement: March, 2013
- Award: US$1000 for travel and conference expenses
Website launch in late November: Due to technical issues, we will postpone the conference website until late November. The online registration will be available at that time. We apologize for any inconvenience it may cause. Further updated notice will be sent to each presenter by email and will also update on the website when it is ready.